Reviving Open Shop: A Community Tool Space at Second Cycle
The gears are turning, the wheels are spinning, and the excitement is building because Open Shop is making a triumphant return to Second Cycle Community Bike Shop! On September 11th, we're reopening our Community Classroom doors, and we can't wait to welcome you back. Second Cycle's Open Shop program is all about providing you with a space to work on your bicycle in a supportive environment, complete with professional tools and expert guidance. It's time to roll up your sleeves, grab that wrench, and get ready to dive back into the world of bike repair and maintenance.
What is Open Shop?
Open Shop isn't just a workshop; it's a vibrant hub of knowledge, camaraderie, and empowerment. Here's what you can expect:
1. Access to Professional Tools: Say goodbye to the hassle of buying and storing expensive bike tools. At Open Shop, you have access to a comprehensive set of professional tools that can turn your bicycle maintenance dreams into reality.
2. Expert Guidance: Our dedicated team of mechanics and volunteers is here to support you every step of the way. Whether you're a seasoned pro or a newbie, they'll answer your questions and guide you through various repair and maintenance projects.
3. Community Connection: Open Shop is not just about fixing bikes; it's about fostering a sense of community. It's a space where like-minded individuals gather to share their passion for cycling, learn from one another, and build lasting connections.
When and Where?
Starting September 11th, you can join us at the Community Classroom, located at 1207 MLK Jr. Way in Tacoma (Right next door to the Bike Shop). We're open on Mondays and Saturdays from 10am to 4pm. Please note that space is limited to four customers at a time, so it's first-come, first-served. Make sure to bring all the parts you'll need for your project, and don't worry about the little things; we provide aprons and consumables like grease and chain lubricant.
We believe that everyone should have access to the benefits of Open Shop, regardless of their financial situation. That's why we offer a sliding cost scale to meet your needs:
- $15/hr: Access to the tools, with no staff assistance on repairs/maintenance.
- $20/hr: Access to the tools, with occasional mechanical assistance from staff.
- $25/hr: A service demonstration in addition to the cost of service.
- $90/hr: Groups of four or more with access to the tool and service demonstration.
We understand that some members of our community may face financial challenges. Customers who self-declare as low income or are experiencing homelessness, as well as youth under eighteen, have access to Open Shop resources at a reduced rate or no cost.
Got questions or need more information? Feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're here to help and excited to support your cycling journey.
The return of Open Shop at Second Cycle is a celebration of community, learning, and sustainability. We're thrilled to invite you back to our revamped Community Classroom where you can once again turn your biking aspirations into reality. Whether you're a seasoned cyclist or just dipping your toes into the world of bike maintenance, there's a place for you at Open Shop. Join us on September 11th and let's ride the path of knowledge and camaraderie together!